Fish and seafood, although they are one of the healthiest, high quality protein alternatives on the planet, are sometimes known for their bland taste.
Aside from the so-called bland flavor, incorporating fish into your diet is linked to lowered blood pressure and triglyceride levels, according to the American Heart Association. It’s low in saturated fats and total calories, and packed with necessary vitamins and minerals such as omega-3 fatty acids.
In addition to the health benefits offered by both fish and seafood, they can be prepared in various ways.
From poaching and grilling to baking and frying, the “protein of the sea” allows chefs, professional and home, to experiment. Some even use curing, pickling, and smoking techniques to preserve seafood, as well as offer their diners something different.
Along with varied cooking methods, numerous herbs and spices lend to fish and seafood, as well. Below are the top six herbs that will enhance, not overpower the seafood’s delicate natural flavor.
- Basil - available in many varieties, this herb is a great accompaniment to fish and seafood.
- Chives - offering a mild onion flavor, chives can elevate sauces and marinades that might be used in fish or seafood dishes.
- Dill - the most basic herbal pairing, dill is the perfect herb that works well with most white fish.
- Parsely - a classic seafood pairing, whether in a sauce or used as a garnish.
- Marjoram - a delicate herb, marjoram tastes similar taste to oregano, but with a milder flavor.
- Garlic - a member of the onion family, garlic is available fresh, dried, and ground. It has a spicy taste and pungent aroma that is perfect for flavoring fish and seafood. It can also be used in sauces and marinades.
Now that you’re aware of cooking and seasoning techniques, it’s time to get your hands on some seafood.
Head over to FoodservicePromos.com to download and take advantage of our latest King & Prince rebate offer. Simply login to your FSP account (or create a FREE account) to save up to $750 on King & Prince’s broad seafood portfolio.
This offer ends April 30, 2018 (must be postmarked by May 31, 2018).
To stay up-to-date on our latest rebates, special offers, and blog posts, subscribe to our newsletter and remember to add FoodservicePromos.com to your bookmarks.