Food Service Promos Blog
Though this is a 2013 report, this is a GREAT resource for everything you need to know to begin forming strategies for surviving the government red tape threatening your business.
- Health care
- Looming Affordable Care Act insurance mandate still raising questions for operators, employees
- Menu labeling
- Experts advise taking preliminary steps as chains await final FDA rules
- Minimum wage
- Renewed federal focus, striking workers place new emphasis on pay rates
- Foodservice associations, restaurateurs voice support for comprehensive reform
- Paid sick leave
- Opponents say it will cut into already thin margins; proponents say it builds loyalty
- Social issues
- Experts advise brands to weigh pros and cons before taking a stand
- PLUS INFO ON:
- NRN_Regulation_Nation.pdf (713 Downloads)
In today's Bullet Blog© we 'Cut to the Chase' on lime prices and where they go from here:
- Many restaurants have been paying $160 or more per carton
- This is due to heavy rains in Mexico, bacterial infections in the lime groves and Mexican drug cartels
- Relief is in sight as summer approaches and limes in the Mexican state of Veracruz are ripening
- As of Monday, prices had fallen to about $125/case, according to Jim Mills with Sacramento's Produce Fresh.
- "We probably could conceivably be $60 by next week," Mills said
- Prices could drop to $15-$20/case by mid summer
This Bullet Blog Post credits News10/KXTV for much of the information in this post
The producers of Shark Tank and The Voice are searching the nation for CHEFS for a NEW Cooking Show! Do you have what it takes?
(Further Instructions on Next Page)
- On_The_Menu_-_Casting_Call.pdf (985 Downloads)
Looking to shake up your menu a little?
Do you know what the number one culinary trend is? What about the fastest growing food preparation methods?
The National Restaurant Association's surveyed professional chefs, members of the American Culinary Federation, on which food, cuisines, beverages and culinary themes will be hot trends on restaurant menus in 2014.
The categories are:
- Starches/side items
- Main Dishes/Center of the Plate
- Kids' meals
- Ethnic Cuisines and Flavors
- Preparation Methods
- Culinary Themes
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages
- Cocktails/cocktail ingredients
- Alcoholic beverages
- What-s-Hot-2014.pdf (659 Downloads)
One of the keys to boosting sales is to find ways to set yourself apart from your competitors. This brief article offers a few things to consider as you look to grab market share away from your competition this year.
Separate yourself from your competition. To increase foot traffic, you need to create loyal customers who will stop by your store specifically, rather than the store one mile down the road. It could be incredible coffee (find a regional coffee roaster), exemplary customer service or fantastic pastries from a local bakery. Brainstorm ways to set your store apart from all the others with similar floor plans that are selling the same products.
Constantly seek to get better and more innovative. What special or regional products or services can you offer to entice customers to shop at your establishment? For example, you could offer video game rentals, offer that fantastic frozen pizza that you can normally only get on the other side of the state. Seek input from your employees...they hear from customers every day and will likely have some great ideas to share.
It's no secret that Foodservice is where the largest ROI is --- and this is not going to change any time soon. If you have not been focusing your energy on your foodservice strategy, a good place to start is on building a successful breakfast program.
Here are a few tips that will help give your breakfast program a boost:
Start with your Coffee
"Breakfast is the only daypart where beverage choice drives a lot of the purchase decision on where to get the food," said Dennis Lombardi, executive vice president of foodservice strategies for retail and foodservice consultancy WD Partners, which counts Wawa and Circle K among its clients. "You have to have an outstanding coffee program; if not, you're nothing more than second class."
Is that old oven, steamer or grill driving you nuts? If you are in a position to look into replacing some of your aging foodservice equipment, you may find some serious rebates as an incentive to upgrade to more energy efficient equipment.
Many utility companies across the U.S. have rebate programs and/or finance programs to help you replace inefficient and worn-out equipment.
For more information on what programs are available in your area, visit the ENERGY STAR Commercial Food Service Equipment Incentive Finder at: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=cfsrebate.cfsrebate_locator
If you have any success stories with a program in your area, we'd love to hear about it! Tell us about it in the comment box below!
A February 6th article in edition of Nation's Restaurant News states that "rising heating bills will take a cut of already limited consumer discretionary spending, serving as a "crowding out" factor that will likely last through late spring."
Not surprisingly, restaurant's most likely to see a hit in sales are the ones located in the states hardest hit thus far this winter. I know, I was wondering the same thing...'who hasn't been hit by this harsh winter'
At any rate there are some other great tidbits of information in the article, courtesy of restaurant consulting group and research firm AlixPartners:
• Studies show consumers expect to spend around 9% less per restaurant meal this year vs. last year. This equates to the average consumer expecting to pay around $13.50/meal vs. $14.90/meal last year.
Here's your opportunity to take your fabulous Mango recipe and turn it into some cold, hard cash!
The National Mango Board invites chefs, dietitians, and foodservice directors working in commercial and non-commercial foodservice operations to enter its MANGOVER YOUR MENU Recipe Contest.
The Recipes will be evaluated based on: use of fresh mango (25%), flavor (25%), color and texture (25%), and originality (25%). Recipes can be an item from your menu, or a dish created for this competition that could be successfully prepared and served in your operation.
Categories included in the contest:
Create a new recipe or reinvent an existing favorite with fresh mango to MANGOVER YOUR MENU!
Enter online at www.mango.org/foodservice/recipe-contest